Type of course: Virtual Terrain type: Urban & Parkland
This includes most of the local sites: Farnham Castle and Park, Gostrey Meadow, the William Cobbett pub and tomb, Bishops Meadow, the University, Parish Church, the Maltings, Castle Street, the Borelli Walk and the much less well known Shrine Museum, passing by the outside of the ongoing Brightwells Yard & East Street redevelopments (if you have enough energy). For that reason, please avoid the shoppers and choose a quiet time e.g. early evening, then social distancing will be much easier!
Near: Farnham Lat,Lng: 51.21260,-0.79960 Postcode: GU9 7PR What3Words: ///confusion.frantic.pounding
Directions / Parking
Parking is at the Waggon Yard Car Park (GU9 7PS) off the one way system just by the New Ashgate Gallery. Parking charges are currently £1.50 for 2 hours (between 08:00 – 18:30, Mon-Sat), payment by cash or RingGo app (not contactless card).
MapRun directory path:
UK/Surrey/SW Surrey/Farnham Urban v2
A 60 minute score course with 40 controls and a penalty of 10 points for each (part) minute over. Most of Farnham is flattish, but you'll need to climb to the Park to get to some of the high value controls. The map is at 1:7500 scale in Street-O style, with different colours to the traditional orienteering maps - the key difference is that white means no access unless clear on the ground. To see the score, finishing time and tracks of other runners, use the "Results" , "Tracks" links.
The "Map" link gives you an A4 (Landscape) pdf; Control Descriptions and Safety Notes are included as the 2nd page of the map. If viewing with the Firefox browser, the Out of Bounds Areas are not shown correctly. Edge / Chrome browsers and Adobe Acrobat should be OK.
The Start and Finish is the South Westernmost Pay & Display Ticket Machine in the Waggon Yard Car Park (the back right of the car park as you head in).
When you pass the Finish control, then it will stop the timer, once you have started and found at least one other control.
- The course has been created from Open Street Map - we can't guarantee that a route shown on the map is a legitimate right of way - please keep to public roads, paths and open spaces.
- When running the course please be aware of residents / town centre users / walkers - maintain social distancing and give way if necessary. Please follow the applicable government COVID-19 restrictions and the British Orienteering Covid Guidance.
- This course is located in Waverley, Surrey. Please consider current Covid-19 restrictions. You should check current government rules for yourself as to whether this activity is permitted – don’t forget that your name will be shown in the MapRun results!
- You are responsible for your own safety - this has NOT been registered as an event with British Orienteering and is not covered by their liability insurance.
- You will need to cross many roads, some much busier than others - check for traffic before you cross! For this reason, under 16s MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Farnham centre is surrounded by a one-way system which can be busy. There are 6 pelican crossings which are marked on the map, so please use these where possible.
- The University campus is Out of Bounds apart from a clearly marked public footpath crossing it (close to control 29). Please don't stray from the path.
- Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the Cemetery is Out of Bounds, so no shortcut between controls 31 & 33.
- Castle Hill (A287) has a good path on the Castle (east) side of the road but there's no pavement on the west side, it's busy, on a bend and not easy to cross, which is why the footpaths off that road are marked with X (Forbidden route). It is possible to cross safely from Old Park Lane to the Castle (NW to SE), but not in the other direction (SE to NW) due to poor visibility. You shouldn't go into the Castle Keep or the grounds (which are a private venue) - everything within the walls is Out of Bounds, so no shortcut between controls 37 & 22!