Farncombe (just north of Godalming, Surrey) is the 1st of our MapRunF “virtual” courses – you might remember our Urban event from October 2018 based at Charterhouse school covering some of the same area but this also includes the pleasant Broadwater Park and the River Wey Navigation.
This is a score course – checkpoints are numbered from 1-40. Numbers 1-10 are worth 10 points, 11-20 are worth 20 points, 21-30 are worth 30 points and 31-40 are worth 40 points.You have 60 minutes with a penalty of 10 points per (part) minute over. Most of Farncombe is flat, but you’ll need to climb a hill to get to some of the high value controls.
The map is at 1:10000 scale in Street-O style, with different colours to the traditional orienteering maps:
- lines = roads
- dashes = tracks / paths
- green = woodland
- yellow = open land
- salmon = hard standing
- magenta = Out of Bounds
- white = assume no access unless clear on the ground
Farncombe is bisected by a railway line and there are level crossings on either side of the station marked “LC” on the map. If the barriers are coming down please be patient and wait. To avoid the risk of undue delay, you could plan to use one of the 3 railway footbridges marked in purple on the map, of which one is at the station itself (see Safety Notes below).
- The course has been created from Open Street Map – we can’t guarantee that a route shown on the map is a legitimate right of way – please keep to public roads, paths and open spaces.
- When running the course please be aware of residents / town centre users / walkers – maintain social distancing and give way if necessary. Please follow the applicable government COVID-19 restrictions.
- If using the station footbridge, SWR expects you to wear a face mask. This footbridge is annotated with “MASK” on the map.
- Running is permitted on the (National Trust) River Wey towpath, but care must be taken and pedestrians should be given right of way. If the towpath is busy, then do not run (you can always repeat the course at a quieter time).
- You are responsible for your own safety – this has NOT been registered as an event with British Orienteering and is not covered by their liability insurance.
- You will need to cross many roads, some busier than others – check for traffic before you cross! For this reason, under 16s MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Nearest A&E Hospital: The Royal Surrey in Guildford GU2 7XX. Directions.
|MapRunF directory: UK/Surrey/SW Surrey/Farncombe Urban|
|Map - pdf to view/print||Control Descriptions - pdf to view/print
|Includes Control Descriptions as text but small to read! If viewing with Firefox, OOB area is not shown correctly and obscures the Start/Finish. Edge / Chrome / Acrobat should be OK
Parking is at Broadwater Park (entrance by the Leisure Centre), off Summers Road, Farncombe GU7 3BH. There are currently no parking charges. If the car park is full, then you should be able to find a space on Summers Road.
The Start and Finish is the Flagpole at the southern end of the Car Park, on the left of the tennis courts, which you can see in the picture below (you may need to zoom in).
what3words location: ///rock.factor.doll
When you pass the Finish control, then it will stop the timer, once you have started and found at least one other control – so please bear this in mind if using the route exiting Broadwater Park south west towards the car park off Nursery Road which passes the Flagpole i.e. do this at the very start or at the very end to avoid your run being prematurely terminated!